Friday, February 17, 2012

Living the Adventure


When Ren and I were dating, I asked him if he ever woke up in the morning just bursting with excitement for the new day ahead of him--if he ever looked at each day as an adventure. He said he hadn't ever experienced waking up in quite that way, but he was inspired that I did. He shortly thereafter name me "Adventure Annie" (only one of the many titles he's given me). I woke up this morning feeling just this way. In fact, one of the many things I was looking forward to experiencing in today's adventure was writing this post, because I want to share my joy with you.

I really do see life as an adventure. Being a homemaker has rekindled that flame for me. Yes, I did lose hold of it for awhile. After we got married, the stresses and challenges of my new life refocused my vision and I had to rediscover "Adventure Annie." Working outside of our home made it especially hard for me to hold onto my beautiful vision of life. I've come to the realization that I have a personal need for my own well-being. That need is to be at home. But more on that later.

What makes me so excited about each new day? I've asked myself that many times, and I can't say I completely know. But I do know that at least part of it is that I'm excited to choose what I do with my time (it's sort of like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book). I realize that this is unique in many ways to the occupation of "homemaker." Not everyone can design their day around anything they want. This is just one reason I love what I do. But as much as I love choosing the course of my day, I must admit this has often been my least favorite part of homemaking. Why? Because it's so hard. It's hard to be your own boss, your own motivator, your own time-keeper. It's so hard, in fact, that at times I've even questioned if I want to be a homemaker at all, because I didn't know if I could keep "choosing" my own day every day. It takes a lot of discipline and self confidence to go forward with a plan designed by yourself and not doubt whether or not it was the best use of your time. But, once again, through trial and error and a lot of prayerful searching I've discovered some ways to counter the intimidation of being my own boss. I want to share one of them with you today. I'm actually going to post it separately because it's somewhat extensive, and I think it needs its own space. Bon voyage!

If you have any experiences to add to my "adventure log," please leave a comment. Comments are encouraging!   

2 comments:

  1. Annie you are one of the most remarkable people I know. I just found your blog and love it, your thoughts and insights are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh Ann, you are so sweet! I have often thought how remarkable you are, and what a good friend and neighbor you are to everyone around you. Yay for Wymount!

      Delete