Friday, May 17, 2013

It has been awhile

So it's been awhile...a very long while, as in, over a year. Since I've posted on this blog, that is. And it's very possible than anyone who ever cared to read this blog has long since moved on and quit caring or waiting for me to say anything else. I know I did.  But I'm back from my long trip, or detour, whether or not anyone cares to read what I say. I need to unpack my bags. I have things to say. And I'm not making big, beautiful promises that I can't keep. I may be very sporadic in my posting. I may get excited and be very consistent in blogging and then suddenly skip it for months...or years. But oh well.

Life has happened to me. And it's still happening. Recently, a big blow came my way that really threatened to knock me off my feet. It was a good try, but ironically enough, I'd been dealt enough 'big blows' in recent months that it only shook me. I've still got the jitters; I'm not totally over it. However, it's done enough good shaking that the wheels in my head are rattling and turning again. It's caused me to pause and question what I'm doing.

So what am I doing with my self-chosen "career"? I'm a stay at home wife. What exactly does that mean? I really am asking myself these questions right this moment. This is all improv. So here it goes:

   -I'm writing a novel. Didn't think I'd ever get to it, but I woke up with a light bulb one morning and I've been going ever since.
 
   -I recently discovered Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products, and I've fallen hopelessly in love. Cleaning feels like a country garden picnic these days (at least for my nose). I'm particularly taken by lavender and basil.
 
   -I have an obsession with my Burpee's gardening catalog. We go on dates together--secret little getaways. And then I dream. I've become very good friends with the multi-colored carrots and the hydrangeas.

   -My nose has become my new favorite body part. If something smells good, my nose takes over the driving and I go along for the ride. I'm infamous for getting stuck in Bath and Body Works for longer than is healthy. I've been flirting with the idea of selling Salt City Candles. Not sure if I will yet.

   -I have a new vacuum. For a woman without children, this is big. It's like getting a dog for people who love  dogs. It makes me happy. It looks like a contraption from a Star Trek show. Sounds like one too. It has a separate canister for the attachments. Kind of a new phenomenon for me. A phenomenal phenomenon. It works really well.

   -We've been eating a lot of yogurt lately. Yogurt for breakfast, yogurt based salad dressing, yogurt dip, yogurt sauce for fish tacos...Yogurt. It's what's for dinner.

   -My husband and I have a fairly new budgeting system that we don't follow perfectly the T, but as Ren always says, "That's the gist of it." I follow the rules of it pretty carefully, and I love it. It makes me feel in control of my wallet and gives me the freedom to plan ahead. It's based on the system from the book Rich on Any Income. You can find it on Amazon if you're interested. Or I might post about it if I'm in the mood so you can get the "gist" of it.

   -I've been house hunting pretty solidly for the past year and a half. If it's for sale in the San Luis Valley, I've looked into it. I've got my eye on one right now. We'll see what happens.

   -I am a new frequenter of writersdigest.com. On rare days, I even go to the library and pick up a Writer's Digest magazine to sift through. It's becoming a habit.

   -I am an unofficial teacher's aid...for my husband. I get to do lots of sorting, filing, grading and just plain old assisting with high school Spanish "stuff". I actually really enjoy it most of the time, especially when I get to do it with Ren instead of without. I'm happy that I can lighten his burden a little, especially in his first year of teaching.

   -Sherwin Williams doesn't see me quite as often lately as they did for awhile, but I still go in now and again to collect color chips. I think I was an interior decorator in a past life;)

I think that's enough for now. I need to go take a shower and make my bed. No. Of course it's not almost 10:00. I never wait that long to get going!

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I miss you Annie! I've been thinking about calling you this week and kept forgetting because of research papers I have due this week!!! But, I will call you once the craziness is all over and update you with the things we're doing. You're still an inspiration to me! I love the things you're getting into lately... so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,
    I'm so glad you are blogging again. How exciting that Ren is teaching! I'm right there with you on the house hunting, and we're still probably a year from buying:-\ someday... Anyhow it is so good to hear from you, I hope all is well. When you finish your book I'd love to read it,you are such an incredible writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for an update! So good to hear a few bits and pieces of what's going on in your life. I would love to talk with you! Email or call when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see you back in the blog world. I enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete